Top Tips for Successfully Working with Industry
- Retain your independence.
- Be professional and expect to be treated as such, regardless of your job title!
- Recognise the expertise and value that you can bring to the industry that they may not have access to – be confident!
- Understand the company perspective and what is motivating them in the interaction.
- Compliance – understand that the industry operates under a code of practice, and that this can help guide your interactions.
- Be transparent – this is key to ensuring your organisation is trusted and your voice is valued by other stakeholders.
- Ask questions to gain clarity – if you are afraid to ask questions then there is an issue with the relationship!
- Don’t expect that you will always agree or that your advice will be followed.
- Communicate effectively to understand why certain decisions are being made.
ABPI Working with Patients and Patient Organisations (summary of guidance from the ABPI, aimed at pharmaceutical companies engaging with patients): https://www.abpi.org.uk/publications/working-with-patients-and-patient-organisations-a-summary/.